lecture: Point Clouds in a Browser with WebGL
Potree is an open source project that implements point cloud rendering capability in a browser. It is a WebGL based point cloud viewer for large datasets. Thanks to WebGL, it runs in all major browsers without plugins.
Over the past years Potree has evolved from a small library to an active open source project with an active community, several companies funding development and an increasing user base.
This presentation will give an overview over the current state of point cloud rendering with Potree, about the difficulties and challenges. Pointcloud data is expected to play an increasing role in the next years with falling prices for previously very expensive hardware such as laser scanners, the development of autonomous vehicles and the popularity of drones. Powerful hardware and WebGL will open up a wide range of innovative browser-based web services in the near future.
Links to project: https://github.com/potree/potree
Start time: 12:00
Room: Plenary Chamber
- Rhine Lobby
- Spatial data and the Search engines
- Room Berlin
- ZOO-Project 1.6.0: News about the Open WPS Platform
- Fireplace Room
- FloodWatch: Combining Wearable Tech + Disaster Alerts
- Plenary Office
- Real-time large format maps for passenger information on railway disruptions
- Room Bonn
- Collect & Manage Geospatial Data Edits with GeoSHAPE